Search for footy stuff

Tuesday 10 August 2010

Day 2 at the Skill School

Just finished the 2nd day on the 5 - 12 year old skill school.
Had a great day with all the kids. All the players seemed to improve over the 2 days and I certainly saw a big difference from when they started with us.
The first day is mainly about technique coaching but the 2nd day is focused on where and when to use those skills.
It is great to teach skills but it's only worth it if they know the importance of why we do them and how to use them in the most effective way.

We also focused on the shooting and passing techniques, as end product to the skill is key. There is no point being able to beat players if you can't pass, cross or shoot. I see so many teams that get into key areas of the pitch but can't deliver.
Prime example was watching England this summer. Theo Walcott was included in all the friendly games. He has amazing pace but when in the key areas he could deliver a good cross or should have shot in front of goal. Instead we saw I'm pass the ball in an area where a confident player would have shot. I feel he will be a good player but he needs that killer end product to his game to become one of the best. As he had many chances to prove himself (more than any other) he should have taken his chance to impress but didn't take it as there wasn't the end product needed.

I did see a couple of special players on the course. I had 2 7 year olds playing with 10 - 12 year olds. I certainly think they will go a long way. 1 lad in particular I have been coaching since he was 5. Makes me feel good that I have been his only coach in his life. Hopefully good things will happen for him.

Anyway keep practicing

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment